Over the last 17 years, Vijay Mistry and his team have run arts workshops, youth & community projects, performances, comedy events, dance shows, record labels, music magazines and online ticketing across venues in Leicester and beyond. Something that started life as retail outlet 2Funky Records, back in 1997, has evolved into a powerful brand, strongly associated with music and culture of Black origin.
Engaging thousands of people each year,
this work now includes:
- www.radio2funky.co.uk - Leicesterís premier urban music internet station.
- Festival2Funky Ė our annual festival, showcasing music of Black origin on Leicesterís Braunstone Gate.
- Spectrum - celebrating the history of music of Black origin through a documentary and website: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rei5sMW6wj0
- Arts workshops in schools, and youth and community centres (MCing, Street/ Break Dance, visual arts, vocals and DJing).
- ILUVLYRICS - live literature projects that promote literacy through poetry, MCing and lyric writing.
- Issue based creative learning (e.g anti-knife crime project Words Without Weapons).
- Providing artist development, mentoring and showcase opportunities.
- Online ticketing via www.2funkytickets.co.uk
Our organisation Director and founder Vijay Mistry has been managing events and projects associated with urban music for 17 years. This has given him extensive knowledge and experience of the creative sector and music industry, with strong networks in Leicester and beyond. He is experienced in marketing, finance, and project, artist and events management.
Rebecca is our fundraising, marketing and development consultant and has been with us for seven years. She has previously worked for Leicester Comedy Festival, The Spark Childrenís Arts Festival, Mantle Arts and Phoenix Arts, managing projects and events.
Should Black History Month be scrapped or revamped?
inviting DJ's to do a DJ guest Mix consisting of a mixture of their sounds incorporated with Asian Beats
This April, arts and culture organisations, community groups, societies and artists are coming together to gi